Puritan’s Human Resource Team is seeking an experienced Benefits Administrator to join their team and be responsible for our Benefit’s Administration. The Benefits Administrator will be responsible for directing and planning the day-to-day operations of all of Puritan’s Benefits Programs (group health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, worker’s compensation, life insurance, HSA, retirement plans, etc.) while complying to all federal, state, and local rules and regulations. You will provide excellent customer service to ensure a top-notch benefit’s experience, regularly interacting with employees, managers, and leadership. The person in this role will continually investigate new benefits programs and improve our existing plans while monitoring the benefits administration. If you are curious about how benefit programs and employee policies drive culture and help retain talent, this role may be for you.
- Serve as the go-to resource for employee benefit, and leave related questions.
- Research employee benefits plans and vendors to identify those that present the best value.
- Design, recommend, implement, and document a new benefits program while examining possible plan designs and benefits cost changes.
- Negotiate with vendors and administrators for best plans, options, and rates.
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators.
- Coordinate transfer of data to external contacts for services, premiums, and plan administration.
- Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Coordinate daily benefits processing. Handle enrollments, COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident and death claims, rollovers, QDROs, QMCSOs, distributions, loans, hardships, and compliance testing.
- Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees.
- Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations, open enrollment, and summary plan descriptions.
- Provide training and support to group benefits associates, home office associates and the field staff.
- Survey industry trends. Complete benefits surveys and review information obtained from the results, forecasting trends.
- Host, coordinate and manage open house events to facilitate new hire benefit’s meetings as well as open enrollment and summary plan descriptions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in human resource management or related field, and three to five years of related benefits or employee benefits administration experience.
- 5+ years of experience with TPA and self-funding processes and at least 3 years in system configuration.
- Solid understanding of health insurance benefit administration in a Self-Funded environment
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP and CEBS professional designations preferred.
- Project and team management/leadership skills and experience.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates.
- Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs.
- Ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals (RFPs).
- Knowledge of benefits contract language.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including the ACA, ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers' compensation, Medicare, COBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
- Must be able and willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work requires operation of a computer.
Location: Our Flagship Operation is in Guilford, ME with two production facilities in Pittsfield, ME and a sales office in Falmouth, ME. Depending on role, we will consider candidates working remote with occasional travel (25%), in state and out of state.
Hardwood | Puritan is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement and advancement will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or military status, age, or any other federally protected class.
Employment Application Process
Click below to download and fill out our digital application.
If you have trouble accessing the pdf, please contact us at [email protected].
Once you've completed the employment application form, submit your application using the form below.